CASE MANAGER- 992 SUMMER STREET
New 48 Unit Building For Independent Adults Aged 55 and Older
WEEKDAYS 9:30 AM TO 6:00 PM START DATE IS JANUARY 2017
Inspirica is one of the largest organizations serving homeless people in Connecticut. We serve more than 700 men, women and children each year. In addition to being homeless, the people we serve typically suffer from mental illness, substance abuse and/or HIV/AIDS. Many further have severe cognitive impairments, a history of incarceration, little or no work history, and little or no education. All of our participants live at or below poverty level. We are one of the few organizations nationally that combines residential services and support services on an end-to-end integrated platform. Our residential services include emergency shelter, transitional housing, permanent supportive housing and deeply affordable housing. Our support services include vocational training, workforce education, job placement, housing placement, job & housing retention support and children’s services.
Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives.
Our principles are to be a results oriented, cost-effective organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
992 SUMMER STREET PROGRAM OVERVIEW
We expect 992 Summer Street to be an important affordable housing resource for adults of low and moderate income aged 55 and older. The building will consist of 48 studio and one bedroom apartments within walking distance of shopping and other conveniences in the vibrant community of downtown Stamford. The building will have several wheelchair-accessible apartments available. On-site support services will be provided by Inspirica, Inc.
The goal of 992 Summer St. is to provide affordable, permanent housing for independent single adults and couples aged 55 and older, and to help them successfully sustain housing and other services for as long as they are able to live independently.
The Case Manager reports to the Director of Permanent Housing. As the only full-time Inspirica employee located in the building, and under the direction of the Director, the Case Manager is responsible for maintaining his/her case load and supporting the Director in ensuring that the residents of 992 Summer St have the services they need to live healthy and productive lives.
The Case Manager will provide the tenants with basic counseling; assistance in securing benefits; money management; help securing transportation and legal assistance; linkages to health and behavioral health services; and employment and education supports.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
1. The Case Manager will generally work from 9:30am to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday but may be required to deviate from those hours to:
a. Address emergencies (client crises, physical damage etc.) in the Program that cannot be handled remotely
b. Respond to serious weather incidents. The Case Manager must report to work even in bad weather. In the event of serious storms where it is anticipated that staff may not be able to come to work, Case Managers may be asked to stay overnight to provide coverage.
2. The Case Manager must be familiar with all external program requirements including those established by law, regulation or our contracts with funding agencies.
3. The Case Manager will be responsible for all case management responsibilities for the tenants of the building. This includes:
• Conducting client intakes
• Assisting clients in identifying goals and, with client input, developing a service plan
• Regularly and effectively following up with clients to ensure progress on service plans is being made
• Coordinating services with other Inspirica programs, including the education, employment, and retention programs
• Maintaining good working knowledge of, and relationships with, other service providers in the community and identifying and referring clients to appropriate resources to enhance their self-sufficiency and well being
• Monitoring if and when clients are having difficulty with everyday living skills such as cooking, bathing, etc. and working with family members or other agencies to link clients to services or help transition clients to other housing when they can no longer safely live independently
• Collecting, organizing and interpreting relevant client information on an ongoing basis
• Negotiating, mediating and advocating for his/her clients to ensure they maintain their housing, and receive the services they need
• Preparing detailed service plans, case notes and progress notes, maintaining case files and reporting on case management activities within the time frames and consistent with Inspirica’s standards.
4. Coordinating and running house meetings
5. Managing crises that arise while he/she is on shift, including completing incident reports and reporting to Director of Permanent Housing any phone any 911, safety, health or hazard incidents.
1. An undergraduate degree in a health or human services related field.
2. At least five years of experience working with senior adults and/or mental health consumers.
3. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
4. Creative, energetic and comfortable working with a wide variety of people.
5. Strong oral and written communication skills.
6. Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are a must.
7. Candidates must be able to work well both independently and as a member of a team and be capable of meeting specific goals and deadlines.
8. Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2013.
9. A valid driver’s license with a good driving record and must be able to come to work even in bad weather.
10. Fluency in Spanish, or Haitian Creole is a plus.
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample in WORD FORMAT, by e-mail to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, race, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.