DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT AND HGC MANAGER
PART-TIME 25 hours per week; 40 hours November 1 through mid-December
Inspirica is one of the largest providers of services to the homeless in Connecticut. Each night we house approximately 350 people (850 per year, including 250 children) in 11 facilities. We are one of only a handful of organizations in the nation that is able to address the physical aspect of homelessness (residential services) and its underlying causes (support services) on a single, comprehensive, end-to-end platform -- a powerful, integrated “one-stop-shop.” Our residential services cover the spectrum of housing: emergency shelters, transitional housing, deeply affordable housing, permanent supportive housing; and, rapid rehousing. Our support services are similarly comprehensive and include: vocational training (home health aide certification); workforce education; job placement; housing placement; job & housing retention support; early childhood & parenting services; children's services (including an after-school program); health care, counseling, case management, and much more. We further provide direct access to mental health care, psychiatric care, dental care, substance abuse treatment, etc. through a network of strategic partnerships.
Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. Our principles are to be a results oriented, cost-effective organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
This is an expanded position within the Development team with a primary responsibility to oversee Inspirica’s extensive volunteer program and direct and manage Inspirica’s Holiday Gift Collection (HGC) program. HGC is a program whereby Inspirica coordinates with multiple donors, volunteers and area agencies to provide 3,000 needy children or those living with HIV/AIDS with holiday gifts donated by those in the community. Additionally this position will provide critical assistance within the development department in the areas of database assistance, donor recognition (Stewardship), volunteer support and events.
The function will be split 70% Communications, Events and Volunteers (including HGC) and 30% donor stewardship and data projects. The position will be heavily weighted to nearly 100% HGC from November through mid-December. The Development Assistant and HGC Manager will be responsible for oversight of the HGC as well as assisting both the Manager of Communications, Events and Volunteers and the Director of Development.
Reporting will be to the Manager of Communications, Events and Volunteers.
- Respond to all requests for volunteer activities and work with Inspirica staff to assure that volunteers have meaningful work across Inspirica’s programs
- Reach out to existing civic and school community partners as well as new prospects to encourage participation in individual and group volunteer activities with Inspirica
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit and match the right volunteers with the right skills within Inspirica’s programs and administrative offices
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers
- Work closely with staff to assure that volunteers receive appropriate training and supervision and to address volunteer issues and concerns
- Track and document all volunteer activities and in-kind donations
- Monitor volunteer satisfaction and suggest program improvements
- Recognize and thank volunteers regularly
- Manage all in-kind donations to Inspirica
- Coordinate Faith outreach with Manager of Communications, Events and Volunteers
Holiday Gift Collection:
- Managing Inspirica’s annual Holiday Gift Collection
- Responsible for successful execution of Inspirica’s signature program, including planning, preparation and day to day operation
- Overseeing (alongside the Manager of Communications, Events and Volunteers) agency communications among the many non-profits supported by HGC
- Preparing mailings and solicitations for HGC
- Sustaining and growing the HGC event committee while ensuring every volunteer has a positive and meaningful experience
- Responding to volunteer inquires, assisting with volunteer placement, recognition and retention
- Preparing for and assisting with the execution of volunteer workdays throughout the year
- Supporting development team in general donor stewardship
- Assisting with data entry, gift acknowledgment and completing specific data projects as assigned.
- Assisting with general development related activities as needed
Stewardship and General Department Support:
- Assists with data entry, gift acknowledgment, general donor stewardship and completing specific data projects as assigned by the Director of Development
- Supports other activities of the Development Department as needed
- Supports other activities of Inspirica as requested by CEO
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree. Valid driver’s license required. Strong communication skills, organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple priorities preferred. Raiser’s Edge experience a plus. Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample by e-mail with "Development Assistant and HGC Manager" in the subject line to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, race, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.