Front Desk Attendant: Supportive Housing
Part-Time: Weekend Overnight Shift from 11pm to 7am
Inspirica is one of the largest providers of services to the homeless in Connecticut. Each night we house approximately 350 people (850 per year, including 250 children) in 11 facilities. We are one of only a handful of organizations in the nation that is able to address the physical aspect of homelessness (residential services) and its underlying causes (support services) on a single, comprehensive, end-to-end platform -- a powerful, integrated “one-stop-shop.” Our residential services cover the spectrum of housing: emergency shelters, transitional housing, deeply affordable housing, permanent supportive housing; and, rapid rehousing. Our support services are similarly comprehensive and include: vocational training (home health aide certification); workforce education; job placement; housing placement; job & housing retention support; early childhood & parenting services; children's services (including an after-school program); health care, counseling, case management, and much more. We further provide direct access to mental health care, psychiatric care, dental care, substance abuse treatment, etc. through a network of strategic partnerships.
Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. Our principles are to be a results oriented, cost-effective organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
The role of the Front Desk Attendant - Supportive Housing is to be on site in one of our Permanent Supportive Housing residences in order to assist residents, enforce the rules of the buildings, and assist the Property Manager in his/her efforts to ensure the properties comply with all legal requirements and are maintained adequately. Inspirica’s Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) includes 56 units in our Atlantic Park Apartments and The Colony Apartments buildings.
Specific Job Duties
The Front Desk Attendant - Supportive Housing will report to the Director of Property Management for Inspirica. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Serve as Courtesy Staff for Building/Residents:
- Physical presence at either the Atlantic Park or Colony Apartments to provide supervision of the facilities and residents for an 8 hour shift. Staff must remain awake and on the premises throughout their shift.
- Answering the property telephone and the telephone for the Property Manager if s/he is not available. Taking and delivering messages as appropriate.
- Monitoring visitors to the building including: requesting identification from visitors; having visitors sign-in ; and requiring that residents come down to pick up their visitors and escort their visitors out of the building at the end of visits.
- Ensuring residents follow all rules and escalating any violations to the Property Manager.
- Responding to residents’ questions or concerns or elevating those questions or concerns to the appropriate party (Property Manager for rent or building related issues; Case Manager for personal matters).
- Staff will be required to conduct hourly rounds of the facilities to ensure the building is secure and that residents are complying with the rules set forth in the Resident Handbook. Between rounds, they will have to monitor the security cameras in each facility. Once per shift they will be required to complete an inspection checklist to ensure the building is safe, clean and well maintained.
- Responding to fire alarms and other emergencies. Staff will be responsible for identifying emergency situations and calling first responders or Property Manager to ensure they are handled and reported appropriately.
- Staff must be familiar with all Inspirica policies and the policies of the particular building they are covering. They are responsible for complying with these policies and ensuring residents comply with them during their shift.
- Staff will be required to complete log book entries describing their activities while on shift, input work orders, and prepare client progress, incident and other reports as needed.
- Staff must remain courteous and professional with all residents, visitors and employees.
- Staff may not leave the premises during their shift without prior approval of the Property Manager or another Inspirica manager. When leaving their desk, the building cell phone should be on them at all times.
- Staff must respect boundaries with the residents. While we encourage staff to be personable and welcoming with residents, they should remember that they are there to enforce the building rules and are required to keep a professional distance to avoid conflicts or favoritism towards certain residents.
- Staff are required to attend staff meetings and meetings with their supervisors as requested.
- Staff must be able to come to work when scheduled even in bad weather.
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter by e-mail with "Front Desk Attendant" in the subject line to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, race, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.