Case Manager - Retention and Outreach
Critical Time Intervention / Rapid Rehousing (CTI/RRH)
Part-time: 24 hours/week
Inspirica’s mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. We are one the largest providers of services to the homeless in Connecticut. Each night, we house 350 people (1,050+ per year, including 250 children). Our residential facilities include emergency shelters, transitional housing, permanent supportive housing, and deeply affordable housing. We serve individuals across the spectrum of the homeless, including single men, single women, families, people with mental illness, and people living with HIV/AIDS.
Inspirica is one of only a few organizations nationally that is able to address both the physical component of homelessness (residential services) and its underlying root causes (support services) on a single, powerful, end-to-end platform. In addition to housing, we provide vocational training, workforce education, job placement, housing placement, job & housing retention support, children's services, early childhood & parenting services, case management etc. We further collaborate with a vast array of external partners to provide medical/dental care, mental health care, substance abuse treatment etc.
We are a results-oriented organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
Inspirica’s Retention and Outreach Programs have three major goals:
- To provide participants who have been placed into jobs by Inspirica’s Employment program with retention support services to assist in their transition and maintain their employment.
- To provide participants who have been placed into housing by Inspirica’s Housing Coordination program with retention support services to assist in their transition and maintain their housing.
- To provide participants living with mental illness with support services in order to increase self-sufficiency and maintain housing stability.
With respect to the first and second goals, the Case Manager-Retention and Outreach will collaborate with the Director of Job & Housing Retention to help ensure that participants maintain job and housing stability. The Retention Team proactively looks for signs of instability in the workplace or home and then takes the initiative to provide support to ensure the issues are addressed before they rise to the level of problems that jeopardize employment or housing. The Case Manager-Retention and Outreach will serve as a resource for personal counseling and will make referrals to other services as needs arise.
With respect to the third goal, the Case Manager- Retention and Outreach will provide case management services for clients living in supportive or independent housing within the community. The case manager will conduct assessments, work with clients to develop service plans, coordinate referrals, provide escorts in the community, monitor progress and evaluate client’s ability to live independently without supportive services.
Specific Job Duties
The Case Manager - Retention and Outreach will report directly to the Director of Job & Housing Retention. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining a personal caseload of 8-10 CTI/RRH clients, including all case management functions (home visits, bi-weekly to monthly counseling sessions in home, preparing progress notes, service plans, incident reports, log books, etc.)
- Following up with participants regularly via telephone and face-to-face meetings in client’s residence to identify potential areas of instability such as work-related issues, savings status, medical health, mental health, substance abuse issues, etc.
- Assisting participants with transition to employment and/or independent living
- Identifying participants who are at risk for losing employment and/or housing, determining needs, providing advocacy and mediation services, researching community resources, making referrals when appropriate
- Teaching, coaching and encouraging clients to develop independent living skills, including money management, effective interpersonal communication, maintaining sobriety, managing psychiatric symptoms, accessing public transportation, housekeeping, healthy eating, etc.
- Monitoring psychiatric medication/treatment compliance; monitoring client’s general health
- Using Motivational Interviewing strategies to support client’s transition and personal growth
- Liaising with Inspirica’s external partners, including referring clients to services and participating in collaborative treatment team meetings
- Coordination of services with other Inspirica programs, including education and employment
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Strong case management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to keep calm and work well with people
- Sound judgment and problem solving abilities
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Willingness to travel and do regular fieldwork
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- BA degree preferred
- Experience with HMIS, DDaP, and/or RUUM a plus
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample in WORD FORMAT, by
e-mail with “Case Manager – Retention and Outreach” in the subject line to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, disability, race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.