Peer Support Specialist
Position: Peer Support Specialist & Driver
Reports to: Community Support Team Lead
Schedule: 15 hours per week | Hours may vary based on client needs and events
Inspirica’s mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. We are one the largest providers of services to the homeless in Connecticut. Each night, we house 350 people (1,050+ per year, including 250 children). Our residential facilities include emergency shelters, transitional housing, permanent supportive housing, and deeply affordable housing. We serve individuals across the spectrum of the homeless, including single men, single women, families, people with mental illness, and people living with HIV/AIDS.
Inspirica is one of only a few organizations nationally that is able to address both the physical component of homelessness (residential services) and its underlying root causes (support services) on a single, powerful, end-to-end platform. In addition to housing, we provide vocational training, workforce education, job placement, housing placement, job & housing retention support, children's services, early childhood & parenting services, case management etc. We further collaborate with a vast array of external partners to provide medical/dental care, mental health care, substance abuse treatment etc.
We are a results-oriented organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
Retention and Outreach Program Overview
Inspirica’s Retention and Outreach Programs have three major goals:
To provide participants who have been placed into jobs by Inspirica’s Employment program with retention support services to assist in their transition and maintain their employment.
To provide participants who have been placed into housing by Inspirica’s Housing Coordination program with retention support services to assist in their transition and maintain their housing.
To provide participants living with mental illness with support services in order to increase self-sufficiency and maintain housing stability.
The Peer Support Specialist & Driver will have the following responsibilities:
· Provide outreach, support, and follow-up services to individuals in the community.
· Will assist with transporting client’s to doctor appointments, group events, and other events as needed. May be required to transport individuals in personal vehicle.
· Peer Support Specialist handles some of the logistics of client arrival and departure. This includes arranging transportation for the client, managing follow-up appointments, and working with facility administrators and discharge staff members.
· Support individuals as a support and connect them to necessary resources that meet their individual needs.
· The Peer Support Specialist works to build a community of both client’s and staff that is supportive and conducive to client growth and recovery. They assist in the creation and implementation of social activities and help create a positive environment for everyone.
· Works collaboratively with team members to develop individualized recovery plans with client’s within the program.
· Using skill building techniques to promote health, wellness, and employment, social and daily living skills, as needed or appropriate.
· Peer Support Specialist works to build a community of both clients and staff that is supportive and conducive to client growth and recovery. They assist in the creation and implementation of social activities and help create a positive environment for everyone.
· Works with clients to build personal and community supports.
· Completes documentation in a timely manner.
GED or High School Diploma Required. Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred. RSS (Recovery Support Specialist) Certification required.
Skills and Experience Required
Candidates should have:
· Strong case management skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to keep calm and work well with people
· Sound judgment and problem solving abilities
· Strong organizational and research skills
· Willingness to travel and do regular fieldwork
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
· Experience with HMIS, DDaP, and/or RUUM a plus.
· Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample in WORD FORMAT, by e-mail with “Retention” in the re: line to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, disability, race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.