Program Aide - Women's Housing Program
Part-time: Weekdays from 5:30pm to 11:00pm
Inspirica’s mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. We are one the largest providers of services to the homeless in Connecticut. Each night, we house 350 people (1,050+ per year, including 250 children). Our residential facilities include emergency shelters, transitional housing, permanent supportive housing, and deeply affordable housing. We serve individuals across the spectrum of the homeless, including single men, single women, families, people with mental illness, and people living with HIV/AIDS.
Inspirica is one of only a few organizations nationally that is able to address both the physical component of homelessness (residential services) and its underlying root causes (support services) on a single, powerful, end-to-end platform. In addition to housing, we provide vocational training, workforce education, job placement, housing placement, job & housing retention support, children's services, early childhood & parenting services, case management etc. We further collaborate with a vast array of external partners to provide medical/dental care, mental health care, substance abuse treatment etc.
We are a results-oriented organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
Women's Housing Program Overview
Inspirica’s Women’s Housing Program (“WHP”) is a 25-bed shelter for homeless single women. The facility is the only shelter serving single women in the area. Participants live in shared bedrooms and share common bathrooms, TV/computer rooms etc. Extensions can be granted depending upon the participant’s willingness to adhere to the program guidelines, including participating in programs that will help them achieve mutually established goals. Participants are provided two meals each day.
The goal of WHP is to successfully transition female adults with a history of chronic homelessness to permanent housing in the community and to help them sustain this housing indefinitely.
Specific Job Duties
The Program Aide reports directly to the Director of the Women’s Housing Program. Responsibilities include:
- Supervise the program residents and facilities
- Ensure residents comply with both Inspirica policies and program policies
- Complete log book entries, client progress reports, incident reports and other reports as needed
- Conduct hourly rounds of the program facilities to ensure the building is secure and that residents are complying with program rules
- Monitor the security cameras for the facility
- Once per shift, complete an inspection checklist to ensure the building is safe, clean and well maintained
- Identify emergency situations and call first responders and/or Director to ensure situations are handled and reported appropriately
- Assist in preparing meals for residents
- Monitor client medication
- Assist residents with various activities of daily living (ADLs) or chores
- Drive clients to appointments and classes
- When a resident exits the program, prepare room for a new client
- Help maintain the staff offices, bathrooms and building common areas (vacuuming, mopping etc)
- Attend staff meetings and meetings with Director as requested
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- At least one year of experience working with the homeless, mental health consumers, substance abuse, and/or families
- Excellent clinical and organizational skills etc.
- Strong computer skills (MS Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Experience with Servicepoint/HMIS a plus.
- Ability to come to work even in bad weather
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- Fluency in Spanish, Russian, or Haitian Creole is a plus
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample in WORD FORMAT, by e-mail with “Program Aide – Women’s” in the subject line to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, disability, race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.