Volunteers Coordinator and Events Assistant
Part-time: 25 hours/week; 30-40 hours/week November 1 through mid-December
Inspirica’s mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. We are one of the largest providers of services to the homeless in Connecticut. Each night, we house 350 people (1,050+ per year, including 250 children). Our residential facilities include emergency shelters, transitional housing, permanent supportive housing, and deeply affordable housing. We serve individuals across the spectrum of the homeless, including single men, single women, families, people with mental illness, and people living with HIV/AIDS.
Inspirica is one of only a few organizations nationally that is able to address both the physical component of homelessness (residential services) and its underlying root causes (support services) on a single, powerful, end-to-end platform. In addition to housing, we provide vocational training, workforce education, job placement, housing placement, job & housing retention support, children’s services, early childhood & parenting services, case management, etc. We further collaborate with a vast array of external partners to provide medical/dental care, mental health care, substance abuse treatment, etc.
We are a results-oriented organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability, and mutual respect.
This is a position within the Development team with two primary responsibilities: (1) oversee Inspirica’s extensive volunteer program and (2) manage three major volunteer-driven special events, including Inspirica’s signature Holiday Gift Collection, which provides 6,000 gifts to 3,000 children in need.
More than 2,000 volunteers contribute to Inspirica’s programs over the course of the year, playing a vital role not only in the execution of our programs, but in our development efforts, as well. The Volunteers Coordinator and Events Assistant serves in an ambassador role for Inspirica in the volunteer community.
In addition to leading volunteer coordination, this position will provide critical assistance to the Manager of Communications and Special Events and the Director of Development in the areas of database assistance, donor recognition (stewardship), and events, including the Spring Soiree, our annual fundraiser and celebration of the successful journeys of our clients.
The Volunteers Coordinator and Events Assistant will report to the Manager of Communications and Special Events. Specific job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to all requests for volunteer activities and work with Inspirica staff to ensure that volunteers have meaningful work across Inspirica’s programs
- Reach out to existing civic and school community partners as well as new prospects to encourage participation in individual and group volunteer activities with Inspirica
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit and match the right volunteers with the right skills within Inspirica’s programs and administrative offices
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization in the volunteer community
- Prepare for and assist with the execution of volunteers’ workdays
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services, and the role and responsibilities of volunteers
- Work closely with staff to ensure that volunteers receive appropriate training and supervision and to address volunteer issues and concerns
- Track and document all volunteer activities and in-kind donations
- Monitor volunteer satisfaction and suggest program improvements
- Respond to volunteer inquiries, assisting with volunteer placement, recognition, and retention across day-to-day volunteer opportunities and major events
- Manage all in-kind donations to Inspirica
- Coordinate Faith outreach with Manager of Communications and Special Events
- Manage volunteers for all special events (One Step Closer To Home Walk-A-Thon, Turkey Drive, Holiday Gift Collection, Spring Soiree), including recruiting, communications, training, and day-of implementation
- Lead management of the Holiday Gift Collection (HGC), including:
- Planning, preparation, and day-to-day operation
- Oversee agency communications among the many non-profits supported by HGC, in coordination with the Manager of Communications and Special Events
- Prepare mailings and solicitations for HGC
- Sustain and grow the HGC event committee while ensuring every volunteer has a positive and meaningful experience
- Develop and implement plan to convert one-time volunteers to long-term volunteers across different Inspirica programs
- Assist the Manager of Communications and Special Events with planning and execution of the Spring Soiree
General Department Support:
- Assist with data entry, gift acknowledgment, and general donor stewardship, and complete specific data projects as assigned by the Director of Development
- Support other activities of the Development Department as needed
- Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to act as an ambassador for the organization and make people feel at ease
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- BA degree
- Valid driver’s license required
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Raiser’s Edge experience a plus
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample by e-mail with “Volunteers Coordinator and Events Assistant” in the subject line to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, disability, race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.