SENIOR CASE MANAGER RETENTION AND OUTREACH (FULL TIME)
Inspirica is one of the largest organizations serving the homeless in Connecticut. We provide emergency shelter, transitional housing, permanent housing and affordable housing to approximately 800 adults and children in lower Fairfield County each year. We further provide critical support services such as children’s services, vocational training, workforce education, job placement, job/housing retention services, and counseling as well as access to health care, substance abuse treatment, mental health care etc. In addition to being homeless, the people we serve typically suffer from mental illness, substance abuse and/or HIV/AIDS. Many also have severe cognitive impairments, a history of incarceration, little or no work history, and little education. All of our participants live at or below the poverty level.
Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives.
Our principles are to be a results oriented, cost-effective organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
Inspirica’s Retention and Outreach Programs have three major goals:
1. To provide participants, who have been placed into jobs by Inspirica’s Employment program, with retention support services to assist in their transition and maintain their employment.
2. To provide participants, who have been placed into housing by Inspirica’s Housing Coordination program, with retention support services to assist in their transition and maintain their housing.
3. To provide participants living with mental illness with support services to increase self-sufficiency and maintain housing stability.
With respect to the first and second goals, the Retention Case Manager will collaborate with Residential Case Managers to help ensure that participants maintain job and housing stability. The Retention Team proactively looks for signs of instability in the workplace or home and then takes the initiative to provide support to ensure the issues are addressed before they rise to the level of problems that jeopardize employment or housing. The Case Manager will engage participants prior to leaving Inspirica and provide follow-up services in a methodical manner to assist with the transition to work and housing. The Case Manager will be a resource for personal counseling and will refer to other services as needed .
With respect to the third goal, the Retention Case Manager will provide case management services for clients living in supportive or independent housing within the community. The case manager will conduct assessments, work with clients to develop service plans, coordinate referrals, monitor progress and evaluate client’s ability to live independently without supportive services.
The Senior Case Manager of Retention and Outreach will report directly to the Chief Program Officer of Support and Retention Services. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Maintaining a personal caseload of 15-20 Outreach participants, including all case management functions (home visits, bi-weekly to monthly counseling sessions, preparing progress notes, service plans, incident reports, log books, etc.)
• Maintaining a personal caseload of approximately 40-60 Retention participants by following up regularly via telephone and occasional face-to-face meetings, to identify potential areas of instability such as work-related issues, savings status, medical health, mental health, substance use disorder issues, etc.
• Assisting participants with transition to employment and/or independent living.
• Identifying participants who are at risk for losing employment and/or housing, determining needs, providing advocacy and mediation services, researching community resources, making referrals when appropriate
• Teaching, coaching and encouraging clients to develop independent living skills including money management, effective interpersonal communication, maintaining sobriety, managing psychiatric symptoms, accessing public transportation, housekeeping, healthy eating, etc.
• Monitoring psychiatric medication/treatment compliance; monitoring client’s general health
• Using Motivational Interviewing strategies to support client’s transition and personal growth
• Liaising with Inspirica’s external partners, including referring clients to services and participating in collaborative treatment team meetings.
• Coordination of services with other Inspirica programs, including education and employment.
• Preparing reports for personal case load and for the entire Retention Department including inputting information into HMIS and other state databases and preparing reports for Inspirica senior management.
• Tracking metrics for the entire Retention Department to monitoring program effectiveness.
Candidates should have: strong case management skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment and problem solving abilities, strong organizational and research skills, willingness to travel and do regular fieldwork, and proficiency with Microsoft Word. Strong analytical and numerical skills, and the ability to work easily with Excel spreadsheets are also required. BA degree preferred. Experience with HMIS, DDaP, and/or RUUM a plus.
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample, in WORD FORMAT, by email with “Retention” as the subject to:
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, race, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.